Personal Auto Insurance
Your SGI licence plate gives you the authority to drive your vehicle on public roads. This authority comes from the registration portion of the premium you pay each year. The remainder of your premium is for liability insurance and for property coverage to your vehicle.
The third party liability coverage included in your licence plate insurance is $200,000. If you only carry the insurance on your plate, you are likely underinsured. Prairie Insurance recommends you purchase a minimum of $2,000,000 liability with an auto policy. By purchasing the extra liability, you would also receive up to $2,000,000 family security. Family security covers you in the case you are in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, covering you for expenses that you would otherwise have to sue for.
The deductible for property damage to your vehicle including coverage for collision and comprehensive perils, ie. fire, vandalism, windstorm, hail, & theft is $700. For as little as $12 a month, you can lower your deductible to $350.
You can decrease your deductible and increase your liability by purchasing an auto extension policy or auto pak. Some additional coverages that can be purchased include:
- Road Hazard Glasscoverage for your windshield for damage caused by objects thrown up from the ground or fell from another vehicle. This deductible does not apply to losses to glass resulting from another peril. (ie. collision)
- Loss of use coverage for renting a vehicle while your vehicle is damaged due to collision or comprehensive losses.
- Replacement Cost available only for new vehicles. If you have replacement cost coverage and your vehicle is written off, this protects you against depreciation and rising repair costs. Your vehicle will be replaced with a brand new vehicle of the same make and model with similar equipment.
An additional benefit of an auto policy is the waiver of your deductible if you hit wildlife or birds, your vehicle is stolen, or your vehicle is destroyed by fire.
Auto policies also top-up all the injury benefits that you receive under the licence plate under the “No-Fault Injury Benefits”.
Snowmobiles equire an auto pak for coverage on the actual unit, as the licence plate coverage only provides liability coverage and a trail permit. Snowmobile coverage can be purchased through SGI Canada or Got Toys Insurance. Any rider born after 1989 should look into taking the snowmobile safety course. This course will help teach the young riders the rules & safety while operating a snowmobile. This could also reduce the premium with Got Toys Insurance. This course can be taken online at www.snowmobilecourse.com.
Commercial Auto Insurance
All trucking operations need to be insured properly with Commercial General Liability, Cargo and Commercial Auto coverage.
Regardless of whether you are a small business operating in Saskatchewan only or whether you are a large business that operates in other provinces and the U.S. you need to talk to us about protecting your business in the case of a loss or legal action.
Our commercial auto brokers will help you find coverage for:
- Coverage in excess of the Saskatchewan compulsory automobile insurance plan (Auto Fund).
- Primary coverage for classes of vehicles not covered by the Auto Fund.
- Various types of automobile insurance coverage such as Drivers, Non-Owned, Replacement Cost and Trip Transit.
Rates will vary according to the usage and the distance that you are hauling – our brokers are very experienced in large and small trucking operations and will advise you in the kind of coverages that you will require. Please call us with your inquiries.
Leased operators need special attention – many will purchase a “buy down” coverage that effectively “buys down” the deductible that their companies master policy gives them. It also gives them the options for:
- Wildlife waiver
- Glass coverage
- Loss of use
- Cargo deductible buy down coverage
We will secure the best coverage at the best price and we will provide daily service to maintain the special needs of large trucking firms that are adding drivers and additional units on an ongoing basis.
Many payment options are available including credit card and monthly payment plans.